Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Eccentricities

It can be a bit hard to make friends when you're weird. And not weird in a cool way, I definitely don't mean that. Let's look at some examples here...

Firstly, and this is just a symptom of where I live, it is hard to make friends when you are not a Christian. There's the obvious--that church can come with a built-in set of people who you can relate to on at least one level...you know, religion...and if you don't have a church you don't have that. But also, you have to navigate the whole thing of everyone just assuming that you are Christian because you live in Oklahoma. I refuse to lie about my beliefs...but I also never offer them up for people to judge. Sure, there are some people who are Christian that I can be friends with. But there are plenty who I could NOT. I don't want to be preached to, invited to church functions, or be lectured in the least. My beliefs will never be changed by you, please deal with that. I would never expect to change your mind, don't expect to change mine.

Ok, a small rant, but let's continue. Beyond that, there's just the fact that I'm a weirdo. Some people would be eeped out by that fact that I don't shave. I'm not gonna shove a hairy pit in your face, but you know, it might peek out sometimes. Some people might not like that I'm currently obsessed with collecting dead things. I have jarred mice, a dried out toad, a pile of cicadas, and a few skulls. Also, I'm a filthy person, and no matter how much work Mike does to try and fight the rising tides of my piles of crap, it still is accumulating with frightening force.

It also doesn't help that I'm not very good at socializing. Deep down, I'm an extremely shy person. Extremely. I make up for it by being really loud and obnoxious once I get to know you....don't know how well that works, though. Also, I have a habit of willing to give up way too much information. I open up about innappropriate things a little too easily sometimes. Want to hear about my reusable menstrual pads? Probably not. And...I curse too much. Sometimes embarassingly so.

So...yep. The main reason I've been thinking of this is because I'm wondering if any of the other students in my classes will ever become true "friends" instead of just study buddies. Will I ever be able to let loose my crazy on any of them, or should I just keep it on the DL and talk over protein-protein interactions and keep it at that? Meh, we'll see.

I had a nice little group of friends in NOLA that I could hang with whenever, and pretty much be myself. Hopefully I'll get to that point again in OKC sometime, I just have to figure out how to meet more weirdos. Taking applications now, but you must have at least 2 of the following list: non-Christian, be ok with lots of cursing and possibly curse too much yourself, love horror movies, love Scrubs, interested in taxidermy, have a dog, Harry Potter nerd, Star Trek nerd, like hiking (but preferably either not too athletic or be willing to wait on a chunk to catch up to you), enjoy Thai food, be ok with the fact that I don't flush my pee, or still have a crush on Hugh Grant, Gary Oldman and/or David Thewlis. Any takers?

3 comments:

  1. You are also smart, funny, caring, accepting, interesting, and creative. I think you are incredible and the normal people who can't see past the weird (which I personally love) to see the wonderful are douche cannons and don't matter anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I beg to differ... I've had hairy pits shoved in my face on many occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Selina, you are right as always. :D

    Mike, no one want to hear what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete