Thursday, September 15, 2011

Tour of My Madness

I've never been one for interior decorating. I've more been one for collecting pretties and piling them in a corner to get dusty. And piling trash, papers, "goodwill stuff", etc...

But, I think I finally am starting to like the way my house looks. I still need to clean, need to organize, need to hang more art, but there are things I look around and I LOVE. Let me be vain and share some things with you! (good and bad...) Click on the pictures to see'um all big.

Here you can see my sexy bike I got free from a friend who moved, my awesome cheap estate sale rocking chair, the bedside table from my brother's childhood bedroom that I thankfully got from Mom before the tornado, and our lovely record collection. The David Bowie boxed set on the top of the shelves is what I used to propose to Mike, so it gets prominent display (plus, its awesome anyway). Oh, and there's Jane, napping.


Mah purdy mantle. I love having a fireplace, even if its just a gas stove in there. This is where our tv was until a short time ago when we got tired and rearranged all the furniture. Also, I will never live in a house that has anything but wood floors. For someone who is not in the least germ phobic, carpet icks me out. You can see and feel when wood floors are dirty (and you know, I don't clean them that often, but still). Carpet can hide stuff, and ew. Plus, it helps my allergy to not have all the dog hair trapped in the floor. I digress. Look at my mantle.

That deer makes me insanely happy right now. I got it a few weeks ago at a garage sale for 50cents. It has a hole in its back that I plan to put an air plant in. When I sit on the couch, I find myself staring at the damn deer and smiling. I'm strange. The cross stitch was done by my lovely cousin. The letterpress blocks are one of my obsessions, I found all of these in a bag for $2 at a garage sale on the same day as the deer. SCORE. I heart cigar boxes, and get all of mine from Mike's fave cigar store on 63rd, where all boxes are $1 and they always have pretty ones. Its hard for me not to own 50 of them, so I give them away at xmas so I can get new ones.

The painting is done by our bestie Jason. He doesn't really like it, but I love having something someone I know painted, and I like the colors in it. And that I have big gross teeth as one of the focal points of my living room. He also made the baby heads. They are ridiculously heavy and used to live in our scorpion's cage. RIP Bobby Peru... Also, more letterpress, and a picture of Lando all Russian old lady in a christmas scarf. Don't forget the weird random animal bone I found in the road one day.

Our pretty pretty red couch. It makes me happy, even piled with my school crap. Also ignore the crap piled on the coffee table. Look at our pretty dvd/bluray collection instead. That's not even all of it.


What I have dubbed my "reading nook" even though its just right beside the couch. Bought these from someone who got them from a closing Starbucks, and they are big and super comfy. Behind them is what's left of our once ginormous CD collection, as we've slowly changed everything but our absolute favorites to either record, digital, or both.

An example of the bad. No matter how often I clean it off, my kitchen table becomes a mess about a day later. At Leigh's bridal shower last week there was someone saying "Oh, that's a man for you, any flat surface and they'll pile stuff on it!" Yeah well, not in my relationship, its all me, baby. But there's a cool Flaming Lips poster and my sweet little Domokun couple in the back!

Gratuitous cute nephews shot! Plus baby Lynsie, small Mike, and bridal fair photo booth shots with Mom.


My fridge. Mike doesn't like that I cover it with found photos from New Orleans, or creepy pics of Billy Graham cut from the newspaper because "we're adults now, and don't live in a dorm." Bleh. Mom's fridge was always covered with random crap, and yeah, it mostly had to do with her kids, but I don't have kids so I have pictures I found on the ground of what looks to be a dying black child and I name them. The baby is little D-Lo, that dead woman (yes, she is dead, the picture was taken of her in the coffin) is named Eudora. You can't see the picture of Alvin and Quanetra that is below all of this. But I also have nice "adult" things, like my sweet little cousins up there, my niece and nephews, and the girl near the bottom is Pamela, the one I've sponsored in the Phillipines since 2002. Besides, that's his chainsaw and Synestro magnets. :-P

Finding the balance between Mike's asthetic and mine can sometimes be challenging. Luckily, for the most part we like the same things. Otherwise, we meet in the middle. For every cheesy ceramic Last Supper that I buy at a garage sale and hang in the hall to make me laugh (he hates it), there's a Dark Throne album art framed for him in the living room. I have the bunny bookends, he decides which books get prominent display (hint: the "natural medicine" and books about dogs go on bottom, the graphic novels and Hunter S. Thompson's go up top). I think its working out just fine. The main thing is that I need to get rid of about half of my crap, and I need to learn to organize. Anyone want any stuff? Otherwise I need to make a biiiiiig goodwill haul. Which is why there are no pictures of the bedroom or back room, being that they are just big piles of my crap. Worse than that table.

No comments:

Post a Comment